Saturday, November 29, 2008

silence is golden slumbers



Angel Of Repose

cloistered
in the cradled arms of this silence,
nestled deep in the bosom of this quiet,

language is unnecessary,
sound is a luxury waiting to be heard,

the hum of an appliance,
the flicker of the fire,
the exhale of a breath,

hers,
an aria as she sleeps beside me.

there is music in the spaces between our speech
where I have watched her dance,
the bride becoming the little girl
who never took ballet.

there are dreams in the pauses for reflection
where I have slept, eyes wide open,
the little boy awake in his bed,
restless to become this man.

as I lie here,
taciturn in this vestal hush,
all I hear are

her dreams.

my angel of repose,

her beating heart
like the flutter of wings,
like the rhythm of a lullaby,

rocking me to sleep.

Le Silence, painted plaster sculpture by August Preault circa 1842-43

No comments: